Halloween Bottles how to

I really hope that this makes sense, and that I am able to remember everything.  First you find some bottles, I don't think the size matters.  I wish I had taken pictures for each step, but I didn't even think about it.

For the bottles.
1.  We spray painted the bottles with a gray primer, while still wet we sprinkled sand on top of the primer.  It really helps to spray in smaller sections, basically a side at a time.  Let dry.
2.  We then spray painted with the black, while still wet we sprinkled a spice mix on top.  I'm not sure what the spices were, it was old spices that were on hand.  I think there was all spice, maybe cloves and nutmeg.  I think you could use anything that had a brownish or orange color, and smelled good.    Let that dry.
3.  When that step dried we lightly misted over the top with the black spray paint again. 

For the labels:
1.  We had a piece of card stock with the phrases printed on them.  The phrases were  Eye of newt, Swamp water, and witches brew.  There was enough room above the phrases to stamp an image.  You could use any image, we used a stamp set from Stampin up. 
2.  We tore around the image to fit on our bottles.
3.  To turn brown we used a tea bag.  We would dip the tea bag in the tea and rub it on the label.  We did it a couple of times to get the color we wanted.  The tea bag came apart and left some of the tea on the label which just added to it. 
4.  While slightly damp we used a glue stick and glued it to the bottles.  It helps to be slightly damp, just makes it form to the bottle better. 

Finishing :
1.  We had strips of cheese cloth that we let soak in the tea. 
2.  Remove the cheese cloth, ring it out.  Then we stamped it with a black ink pad.  Then we rubbed it together to mix the ink through the cloth. 
3.  We snipped it with scissors and then pulled on it a little, just to make it look old and torn. 
4.  Tie the cheese cloth on, tie on some twine, unravel the twine to get the look you want. 


That is everything, I hope.  It was a messy activity, but I really do love the bottles and the way they look.  I hope that it works for you and that you love the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment